AFRIKA KOMMT! has had many years of great success! Since 2008, many of our partner companies have opened new offices in African countries, launched new products, gained new business insights and transformed their business processes through the contribution of the fellows. In addition, our fellows have been successful trailblazers everywhere they have gone! Some have been permanently employed by their partner companies, others have gone back to former employers and transferred new skills and knowledge, while others have set up their own businesses from ideas that were born during their AFRIKA KOMMT! experience. It has been an exciting win – win cooperation for young African professionals and German companies.
Here are some of our inspiring success stories:
Health Systems Development Consultant, Health Facilities/ Medical Planner and Biomedical Engineer
Mutual Benefit, Local Impact!
- Akofa set up B. Brauns branch office in Ghana with other AFRIKA KOMMT! alumni
- She conducted a nationwide training on previously idle medical equipment for over 600 health care professionals in secondary and tertiary level health facilities; thus improving access to quality health care for local communities in Ghana.
- Akofa is now working as a Health Systems Development Consultant for Hospital Engineering GmbH, Hamburg, Germany among other institutions
Integrated Health Care Services Merck / Pharmacovigilance Manager Boehringer Ingelheim
Partnerships for Change
- Pioneered the set up of Curafa – an integrated healthcare concept offering affordable, accessible and quality healthcare in partnership with local entrepreneurs.
- Curafa facilities have reached over 100,000 people from underserved communities in 2 years.
- Key to the success of Curafa was Winnies ability to connect both German and Kenyan stakeholders for successful and sustainable project implementation.
Managing Director of STIHL Marketing East Africa Limited
New Ground for ANDREAS STIHL AG & Co. KG
Patrick set up the ANDREAS STIHL AG & Co. KG East Africa subsidiary with 6 dedicated staff. He oversees the strengthening of STIHL market presence and penetration in East Africa. Patrick facilitated the empowering of local farming communities to improve their mechanisms and consequently increase their yield.
International Forecasting Manager at Boehringer Ingelheim
Unleashing Innovation Potential
Talk about the power of innovation! Since 2016, Alexander has been at the forefront of driving innovation at Boehringer Ingelheim and consequently been the recipient of two high level innovation awards :
- Beyond R&D Innovation Award 2019: Annual award for outstanding innovation
- BI Spark #Fast-Forward Digital Innovation Award: A company wide innovation competition to propel digital evolution. Out of over 500 entries, Alexanders team won the GOLD Award for the idea ‘AP4C: Artificial patients for control arms’. AP4C has since moved into the next phase of implementation.
Lucy Wanjiku Mutinda
Founder and CEO EcoCycle Ltd
Pioneering for a Green Kenya
From the inspiration she got during her one year stay in Germany, Lucy set up a waste water management business in Nairobi Kenya.
Through EcoCycle she is at the fore-front advocating for sustainable waste water management in Kenya.
Lucy has implemented over 170 projects and created employment for over 20 people
Partner Manager East Africa at Robert Bosch Power Tools
Business Models that Work!
- Bright has successfully built a reliable dealer network across the East African region, to boost Bosch market accessibility.
- He introduced innovative locally relevant new business models to help reach local target customers efficiently.
- He is enabling local artisans and craftsmen in Eastern Africa to access affordable and reliable power tools to enhance their trade and better their lives.
Minister for Industry and Trade, Tanzania
Your Network is Your Net Worth
- After AFRIKA KOMMT, Geoffrey was appointed Director of the Tanzania Investment Center
- During his tenure, he worked closely with German companies he met during his fellowship helping them to invest in Tanzania
- He was elected as Member of Parliament and is at the fore front of driving grassroot development in his constituency.
- Geoffrey was now appointed as Minister for Industry and Trade, carrying on the AFRIKA KOMMT! legacy of acting for change!
With our involvement in the AFRIKA KOMMT! programme, we are able to attract exceptional talents. Through local recruiting at our African locations, we would only be able to hire and develop such talents with a significantly greater investment of resources.
The programme also contributes greatly to the diversity in our company. The African interns bring new perspectives from their cultural background. The exchange leads to new ideas, strengthens our innovative power and has the effect like an additional intercultural training for our employees.
That is why AFRIKA KOMMT! is a great win-win opportunity.
Global HR Business Partner Bosch Power Tools
Director Implementation & Planning at Merck Life Science
The Sky is the Limit
- Since completing AFRIKA KOMMT!, Steve has grown to senior level Director at Merck KGaA
- He is engaged to support global executive leaders in preparing, synthesizing and facilitating decision making for future organizational and business development
- Through his role, he has deepened the collaboration and relationship between the scientific community in Sub-Saharan Africa with a leading Life Science company
Director at SAP Purpose and Brand Experience
Launchpad for long-term success
- Kwena developed an interest in technology and its potential to transform businesses in Africa during the programme.
- She is now part of the SAP growth story in Africa.
- She is also an International conference speaker, panellist and thought leader on youth and women empowerment, inspiring youth across Africa to live out their full potential.
The AFRIKA KOMMT! alumni will continue to open new offices, strike new deals but more importantely contribute to community development. The story is just beginning!
Regional Manager West Africa, thyssenkrupp AG