AFRIKA KOMMT! is a fellowship programme that connects visionary African professionals and leading German companies. Together they pave the way for global inclusive business and mutually beneficial cooperation.
The programme runs for the duration of approx. 2 years and is structured as follows:
A Comprehensive Programme in Three Phases
Selection and Preparation
- Definition of fellowship profiles by the companies
- Application phase
- Selection of the candidates for the Assessment Center
- Assessment Center and final selection of fellows
- Preparatory German course in home country for fellows
One-Year Stay in Germany
- Intensive German language course
- 3 Management Trainings (Focus: Intercultural Competencies, Leadership, Project and Change Management, Conflict Management)
- 8-month fellowship in the partner company
- One-week study tour
- Weekend Seminars
- Networking events
- Farewell ceremony with the Federal Foreign Office
- One-week refresher course
- Participation in AFRIKA KOMMT! events
- Alumni projects
- Continous networking
More about the ProgrammeThe Programme
The role of AFRIKA KOMMT! Partner companies
- Defining profiles: As a partner company, you define the specific role and requisite qualifications of the candidate/s you are looking for.
- Selection process: While GIZ is responsible for managing the pre-selection, your company plays an active role in the entire process. This entails shortlisting choice candidates, carrying out telephone interviews and attending an assessment centre for the final selection.
- Onboarding Fellows: Your company should organise a visit and onboarding day for the fellows before the official start of the internship period.
- Preparing meaningful projects: Your company ensures that the qualified young professional is engaged in meaningful work projects during the internship.
- Mentorship: Each fellow should be assigned a mentor to help him make the most of his/her learning experience within the company. This can be a direct line manager or another employee of the company.
- Steering committee membership: Your company is required to appoint a member who will sit in the steering committee of AFRIKA KOMMT! and participate in important decision making for the programme
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH implements the programme on behalf of the partner companies and works closely with them in a long-standing trustful cooperation.
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH offers the following services to partner companies
- Launch of Call for Applications with company-specific profile
- Provision of an online application tool and pre-selection of candidates
- Comprehensive Assessment Center with participation of company representatives
- Organising visa and travel to Germany
- Organising language courses and management trainings
- Organisation of networking events between fellows and partner companies, including a farewell ceremony with the Federal Foreign Office
- Providing fellows with professional and extracurricular support
- Advising of companies how to implement the internship phase
- Paying a monthly allowance to fellows during the study phases
- Arranging accommodation for fellows
- Insuring fellows during the study phases (covering health, public liability and accident risks) in accordance with the group insurance policy for GIZ programme participants
- Organisation of a “Refresher course” with participation of partner companies
- Networking activities for alumni and companies
- Support of alumni projects
- Assuring quality
- Evaluating the programme
- Reporting to partner companies
- Public relations
- as well as any other work necessary for promoting the objectives and content of the programme.